The Summer Curatorial Research Project is an eight-week intensive program for rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors from groups traditionally underrepresented in humanities and/or social sciences who have an interest in museum studies including art education, conservation, collections management. The program is hosted by the University of Virginia museums: the Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Collection and The Fralin Museum of Art.
Organized in partnership with the University Office of Diversity Programs and Leadership Alliance with support from the Mellon Foundation, the Summer Curatorial Research Project aims to enhance opportunities for underrepresented students who are considering pursuing graduate studies and/or museum careers.
Dates for the 2018 Summer Curatorial program are June 3rd - July 31st.
- Research and development of an exhibition
- Seminars in museum and curatorial theory and practice led by museum professionals
- Hands-on workshops in art handling and collections management, museum education, conservation, and exhibition practices
- Field trips to area museums, including an overnignt trip to Washington, D.C.
What is Covered and Additional Benefits
- Travel to and from Charlottesville, Virginia, accommodation, and food allowance during the program
- A stipend of $3000
- GRE course and graduate school preparation
- Presentation of student work at Leadership Alliance National Symposium
Participants in the program must be in good academic standing with a GPA of 3.0 or better and be US citizens or have permanent resident status at the time of application. Applicants must be rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors from groups traditionally underrepresented in research careers in the humanities and social sciences including: students who identify as African Americans, Hispanic Americans, American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and other Pacific Islanders, and individuals with disabilities.
NOTE: UVA students are ineligible for this program. Please visit the Internships page for opportunities exclusively for UVA undergraduates.
How to Apply
The application for the Summer 2018 program is now closed. Details for the 2019 Summer Curatoral Program will be released November 2018.
Indigenous Arts Program Coordinator
McIntire Department of Art
University of Virginia
Office: (434) 924-6123
Director of Diversity Programs
Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs
University of Virginia
Office: (434) 243-5482