The Mellon Museum Internship Program seeks to increase diversity among museum professionals by providing internship support to students from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in the museum-related fields. The program offers $3500 grants to offset the cost of living or travel associated with unpaid and underpaid museum internships.
ELIGIBILITY Applications are open to rising 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year UVA students from all fields of study who identify as African American, Hispanic American, American Indian, Alaska Native, or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander (spring 2020 graduates are ineligible).
INTERNSHIPS The grant program supports museum-related internships, including but not limited to: art, history, or science museums/collections; historic or archaeological sites; libraries or archives; and more. Internships must be full-time (approximately 300 hours over the summer).
Past grant recipients have completed internships at:
- Monticello, Charlottesville, VA
- Taubman Art Museum, Roanoke, VA
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, RIchmond, VA
- Jefferson School African American Heritage Center, Charlottesville, VA
- And more! Check out the Intern Blog to see posts about our previous interns.
Need help finding internships? Check out the Museum Career Resource page!